Family & Children Services of Renfrew County
Department: Child welfare
Accountability: Supervisor of Legal Services
Location: Mary Street Office, Pembroke
Email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a unionized position with the Legal Services team at Family and Children’s Services of
Renfrew County. It is a fast-paced position that plays a vital role in assisting the lawyers in
providing legal services to the Agency in the discharge of its legal mandate under the Child and
Family Services Act and in related child welfare matters.
DUTIES PERFORMED ON A REGULAR BASIS:
- Regular filing of court documents
- Provide technical support and help desk functions for legal/clinical staff
- Administrative support for the legal services department team.
- Attend court office for filing of legal documents.
- Assist staff with needed documentation and court processes as required.
- Complete disclosure of file documents required by legal services. This includes both
- photocopying, burning appropriate information to disk and securing delivery method.
- Regular updating of various Excel spreadsheets
- To organize and expedite the flow of work through the Lawyer’s office, initiating followup action
- To prepare legal documents with little or no direction according to general precedents or
- instructions from the Lawyer
- To liaise between the Lawyer and various internal and external individuals, groups, clients
- at all levels
- To route or answer routine correspondence not requiring the Lawyer’s attention and to
- Initiate follow-up action as required
- To ensure that appropriate bring forward or diary system/database is updated re
- important dates/deadlines
- To prepare special reports including gathering and summarizing data
- To exercise initiative and judgment to relieve the Lawyer of administrative detail
- To draft certain letters independently in response to requests by clients for review by
- To familiarize oneself with client files in order for better file management
- To handle administrative detail with respect to opening and closing files, etc.
- Provide back-up coverage for admin team members as needed and back-up to reception
- as per rotation.
- Assist with special projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor of Legal Services
- KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduate of Law Clerk, Legal Administration Program or Administrative Assistant –Legal
- Program or applicable experience
- Ability to take instruction, prioritize incoming work, follow through on assignments and
- manage ongoing tasks
- Above average administrative skills.
- Above average accuracy, respect for data integrity and a responsibility for quality
- Advanced computer knowledge and technical efficiency with the ability to learn new
- applications and then assist (help desk) staff.
- Show strong attention to detail and possess exceptional proofreading skills
- Be proficient in MS Word, Outlook, Excel and generally possess strong technical skills and
- have an aptitude to learn new software programs
- Fast and accurate typing speed
- Ability to gather, analyze and report on data and outcomes.
- Ability to deal with pressure, changing priorities and multi-tasking and be open to learning
- and employing new concepts and work styles
- Well-developed organizational skills with an ability to prioritize and manage time
- Respect for confidentiality and professionalism within a child welfare organization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal skills coupled with a team-player attitude
- and keen enthusiasm
- Ability to excel in a deadline driven environment
- Ability to maintain good public relations, to get along with staff and to relate effectively,
- efficiently and responsibly to management.
- Bilingualism is an asset
- Understanding of the CYFSA, Signs of Safety, Anti-Oppressive Practice and Strength-Based
- Previous experience working in a legal department is an asset
- Knowledge of court processes and documents as they relate to child welfare.
- Knowledge of agency policies, procedures and equipment.
Salary Range: As per collective agreement