Posting Date: February 16, 2021
Job Type: Permanent Full Time (Non-Union)
Work Location: Town Hall
Hours: 35.0 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Salary: $74,799 to $87,998 annually
The Town of Arnprior is strategically located along the four-lane Trans Canada Highway just past the Ottawa border and is the first major stop in the Ottawa Valley. We offer the conveniences of an urban town with the beauty of nature that comes with being Where the Rivers Meet. If you are interested in working with a dynamic team and like to help make a difference in supporting the community, we encourage you to apply for the Human Resources Officer position for which we are currently recruiting.
Reporting directly to the Manager of Finance and Support Services, the primary responsibilities for the Human Resources Officer position include (but not limited to) the following:
- Provide advice and assistance on the full life cycle of recruitment including planning and developing of staff projections, recruitment and retention strategies, advertising of opportunities, screening of applications, participation in interviews, conducting reference checks, preparation of employment agreements and onboarding of new hires;
- Administer the employee benefit and pension programs plus prepare and coordinate records for the transitional provisions of employee compensation including WSIB claims, short term and long term disability, and retirement;
- Provide support to Supervisors and staff on creating and maintaining group and/or individual training plans to develop skills and capabilities and ensure compliance with applicable policy, By-law and or legislation. Organize staff training sessions, workshops and activities;
- Provide assistance to staff on the completion of annual performance evaluations and provide basic counselling to staff that have performance related obstacles;
- Coordinate, support and participate in negotiations, grievance procedures and arbitration matters with the bargaining unit and provide advice to management as required;
- Provide advice and assistance to staff and management on pay systems including pay equity and job evaluations;
- Provide strategic advice, interpretation, guidance, problem resolution and coordination of a range of day-to-day human resources issues that require judgement and tactical decision-making within prescribed policy parameters;
- Act as the Health and Safety Coordinator for the Town’s health and safety initiatives and promote compliance with Town policy, procedure and relevant legislation, regulations and standards; and
- Attend Council and/or Committee meetings to present information as necessary.
The successful candidate will have as a minimum the following qualifications:
- A diploma or degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with a concentration in business administration, commerce, employee/labour relations, human resources or a related program;
- Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP), Certified Human Resources Leaders (CHRL) or Certified Human Resources Executive (CHRE) designation;
- Three (3) to four (4) years of experience in human resources management;
- An understanding of relevant legislation including the Employment Standards Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, Pay Equity Act, Labour Relations Act and the Occupational Health and Safety Act;
- Efficient computer skills using various Microsoft Office programs as well as knowledge of administrative procedures including records management, developing policy and forms plus maintaining track sheets and databases;
- Working knowledge for providing customer services, being able to assess needs and being able to handle complaints/difficult situations with tact and diplomacy; and
- Strong communication, interpersonal, presentation, organizational, time management analytical and problem-solving skills.
Experience with municipal employee/labour relations and knowledge of benefits/pension administration and payroll practices would be considered an asset.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by 3:00 PM (local time) on March 05, 2021 to Human Resources by:
Mail: Town of Arnprior
105 Elgin St. W.
If you require a disability-related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please email Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of candidate selection. The Town is committed to maintaining an equitable work environment and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.