Family & Children's Services of Renfrew County
Department: Legal Services
Accountability: Supervisor of Legal Services
Location: 77 Mary Street, Pembroke
The incumbent will provide legal services to the Agency in the discharge of its legal mandate
under the Child and Youth Family Services Act and in related child welfare matters.
• Works with Agency staff to consult and advise and to represent the Agency in child
protection proceedings in the Superior Court of Justice.
• Receives instructions from service staff and supervisors, and ensures that the legal
interests of the child, as represented by the child protection worker, are pursued with
opposing counsel within the family court.
• Consult with the child protection Supervisors to ensure the adequacy of evidence and
the preparation of witnesses. Ensures appropriate liaison with counsel has occurred
at every stage of a child protection case.
• Ensures that legal services documentation is adequately prepared, distributed and
represented on the file.
• Review legal precedent on a regular basis and provides supervisory staff with advice
and training regarding decisions and documentation.
• Regularly attends court including acting as counsel at trials.
• Prepare responses to CFSRB complaints and represent the Agency throughout the
CFSRB complaint process.
• Provide coverage for senior legal counsel (including management responsibilities)
• Attend mediation and other collaborative meetings with client, families and their
Created: March 2013
Updated: October 2019
KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
• Post graduate university degree in Law (L.L.B.) and membership in good standing with
the Law Society of Ontario
• One year of experience since being called to the Bar, preferably in representing a child
• Outstanding litigation skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to relate well to other
professionals and individuals in a corporate setting and in the community at large
• Outstanding ability to communicate well orally and in writing, within a team
environment, part of the larger agency, and external collaterals.
• Ability to provide sound and well-considered legal advice, direction and information
to the Agency’s staff and management with respect to child protection matters, and
ability to receive and act on instructions from a corporate client
• Understanding of the CYFSA, Signs of Safety, Anti-Oppressive Practice and
• Excellent presentation and negotiation skills
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines and determine work
• Ability to travel and provide own transportation
• Bilingualism (fluency in French and English) is an asset