Posting Date: March 4, 2020
Job Type: Full Time (Non-Unionized)
Work Location: Public Works Garage
Salary: To Be Determined
The Town of Arnprior is strategically located along the four-lane Trans Canada Highway just past the Ottawa border and is the first major stop in the Ottawa Valley. We offer the conveniences of an urban town with the beauty of nature that comes with being Where the Rivers Meet. If you are interested in working with a dynamic team and like to help make a difference in supporting the community, we encourage you to apply for the Supervisor, Roads and Services position for which we are currently recruiting.
Reporting directly to the General Manager, Operations the Supervisor, Roads and Services will be responsible for the efficient and effective management of the Roads and Services department and personnel, which includes (but not limited to) the following:
• Accountability and responsibility for maintaining the Town’s infrastructure by managing the maintenance of road operations including winter control and minimum maintenance standards, linear assets including water, sanitary and storm infrastructure, underground infrastructure utility locates, cemeteries, buildings and grounds;
• Ensure all Operations equipment, property and materials pertaining to Roads and Services are maintained and operating in a safe and efficient manner;
• Plan, prepare and manage budgets for capital, equipment and maintenance needs. As required, provide input and assist in the costing and purchasing or repair of Operations equipment and road maintenance;
• Provide direct supervision and guidance to all Roads and Services staff including coordinating work scheduling to ensure efficient and effective service delivery, promoting staff training needs to ensure qualifications and certifications are obtained and actively participate in employee/labour relation matters; and
• Attend Council and/or Committee meetings to present information as necessary.
The successful candidate will have:
• A minimum of a two years post-secondary education in a related field complimented by five years of experience performing public works, specifically roads and services, duties with a Municipal government or related environment. Within the work experience, two years will have been in a supervisory capacity and managing work activities;
• Working knowledge and familiarity of road operations and infrastructure;
• Knowledge of practices and methods applicable to civil construction and construction materials and their use, demonstrated experience utilizing power/hand tools, survey equipment, heavy equipment and office equipment; and
• A valid DZ Ontario driver’s license.
Possession of a MECP Operator Class I License in Municipal Residential Water Distribution Subsystem and MECP Operator Class II License in Wastewater Collection Facility are considered an asset. Should the successful candidate not have the licenses they will be asked to work towards certification in a reasonable amount of time. Once licenses are obtained, the position would then fulfill the duties of the Overall Responsible Operator.
Candidates must be physically fit, capable of performing heavy physical labour, able to work in extreme weather conditions and work unplanned long hours or odd hours in response to winter weather conditions and/or emergencies. The Supervisor, Roads and Services shall not reside more than thirty minutes outside of Town boundaries. Ability to obtain a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector check is required.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by 3:00 PM (local time) on April 1, 2020 to Jennifer Glofcheski, Human Resources Officer by:
Mail: Town of Arnprior
105 Elgin St. W.
If you require a disability-related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please email Jennifer Glofcheski at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of candidate selection. The Town is committed to maintaining an equitable work environment and welcomes submissions from all qualified applicants.